2014

2014

Sunday, April 26, 2009

What Should I Have Said?

At the hairdresser the other day I mentioned that I was giving a presentation that evening so it would be nice to have a new haircut. She asked what kind of presentation and I sort of stammered until I stumbled upon--"I volunteer for my church and this is a class on the joy that can come from keeping a Sabbath Day."
I could see the awkwardness in her face in the mirror.
"I believe a day that is different from the rest can rejuvenate us," I said. Then I changed the subject.
But there were 40 minutes left to my haircut. And somehow, the conversation kept turning to her self-defense:
-Her ex's mother was Amish and was always unhappy when they did anything on Sunday. "Oh." Subject change.
-The Mennonites in Mission complained to a store owner that his store shouldn't be open on Sundays, but they would still go out to eat on Sundays. "Hmm...that's too bad." Subject change.
-A child told her that unless she went to church she wouldn't have anybody come to her hair salon. "Really?" How many times can I change the subject?
-She was a very spiritual person, who believes in community, but doesn't go to church.
-She finds Abbotsford a very churchy community.
-She has to work on Sundays as a hairdresser. Etc.
OK. OK.
Was it an attack on her to say that I am teaching a class on the Sabbath Day?
Did I miss my chance to explain how much God loves his children and how there is something even better than just being a "spiritual person"?
Is this the missionary opportunity that someone else might sieze?
Did I have a reponsibilty to defend religion in general?
Was I a coward or was this all going in the wrong direction from the start anyway?

5 comments:

Fred M said...

Can I set an appointment with you on Sunday, so you can come hear by presentation. If you like it great, if not I will pay you for the hour.

That would have given her pause and me a heart attack.

Surprising isn't it how soon some people just look at Sunday as another day. It is sad they miss the beauty of the Sabbath.

Mel P. said...

She asked. Sometimes people ask a question without really wanting to know the answer. I would have said the same thing.

Mel P. said...

By the way, how did the presentation go? I'm sure it was good.

Anonymous said...

Who knows what you should have said!
But I like your hair cut -- and your questioning blog. What did you do with the braid?

Love,
Mom

Jodi said...

Never mess with your hairdresser. You did the right thing to just keep smiling and go with the flow . . . or you could have been paying the price for a VERY long time!