2014

2014

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Did You Know That When You Said, "I Love You"...

...That It Was The First Kind Thing Anybody Has Said To Me Since We Went Swimming?

Today was a day all about kids. We went swimming. We worked together in the woods making paths. We had our closest friends visiting from out of town. Kids tracked mud and jumped on the trampoline and swung on the swings. They had no chores, no piano practice, no putting away their own messes. They had stories and treats and made lemonade.

But somehow--it's always mysterious to me--it all fell apart. An unknown spark sets off a lasting flame.

It burned until bedtime. And in a bed of tears, she said that no one had been nice to her all day. I reminded her of all the fun they had had. Well then, at least since swimming (three hours ago) nothing good had happened.

I sometimes wonder if the fun stuff makes the fire more likely, or does it just make me madder when it ignites?

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Both. It's like studying for a test and then flunking it. Sometimes it just feels better to not have wasted the time studying . . . when you know you're going to flunk it anyway.

I have to admit that I have days like your child. Not one single solitary thing has gone wrong but I still go to bed with a heavy heart. I'm just not as vocal about it.

Or maybe all the drama was just an April Fool's joke.