2014

2014

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Do You Want To Marry Someone Just Like You?

One time, a long time ago, someone asked me who I wanted to marry.  I described the perfect somebody. 
 
Then he said, "Do you want to marry someone just like you?"
 
I considered on it and decided, yes, someone exactly like me would do just fine.
 
Well,  in a lot of ways, that's what Dallin and I signed up for. 
 
Both so passionate and intense and loud.  Both too serious and desperate for righteousness.  Strong, determined, stubborn, and excessive.  Both inconsistent and maybe insecure. 
 
I was once in a group of women who are a lot like me.  They were the strong women, gregarious, leader-types.  One by one it came out that they each were so grateful for a husband who was calm and gentle, steady and slow.  One by one they said how well their husband, very different from themselves, balanced them and their home.  I was the only fireball among us that had married another fireball.  It was a troubling moment of realization for me.
 
Dallin and I don't balance each other.  We're both on the same side of the see-saw.  It's hard sitting on the dirt on the down end of the see-saw, but at least we're there together. 

No comments: