2014

2014

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Why Do I Serve In The Church?

A week ago I was in charge of a meeting for the 30 Trek cast members who will be doing more than a dozen "re-enactments" (mini-plays) depicting Joseph Smith's life and other events of the early Restoration of the Gospel.

As a light introduction to the weightier things we would need to discuss and by way of an apology for not being more on top of things, I explained the make-up of our committee to the cast members who were there:

On my second Sunday in our new ward in September, Karie (the Stake Young Women's President) pulled me into the kitchen (when I was supposed to be in Relief Society--My mother always told me to be where I should be when I should be), closed the door and said, "Oh I am so glad you've moved here." Thanks, I think we're glad too. "You are an answer to my prayers." Oh? "What do you know about theatre?" Nothing. I was once in a high school play, I didn't have any lines, and I was lousy. "OK, perfect. We have this situation of two women in charge of a large cast of people for Trek and they're both pregnant, and one is a high risk pregnancy and one will have a 4 month old baby at the time of Trek, so they really need some help." I'm trying to get pregnant. Karie counts nine months out on her fingers, realizes that if I got pregnant I would be due exactly during Trek and says, "Oh I think it will all work out. I knew you were an answer to my prayers." I know nothing about theatre, I may be in a trickier spot with a baby than either of these other women, but somehow maybe it will all work out?

Now, I am pregnant, will be 37 weeks pregnant at Trek and still know nothing about theatre. One more woman has been brought on to the committee and so now here is what we consist of: Between the four of us we currently have 12 callings, 12 children, one emergency c-section a month ago, one newborn baby in the hospital for a week with respiratory problems, one cracked tailbone, one woman 41 weeks pregnant and on bed rest for the last 2 months, one 4 year old son with brain tumour surgery, and one woman 20 weeks pregnant. No wonder we're a bit behind on rehearsals.

Sometimes I wonder if this sort of insanity is what the Lord wants for us? Isn't this akin to what the pioneers went through? Is this "wasting and wearing out our lives" to a good purpose? Is this serving Him with all our "heart, might, mind, and strength"? Is my family coming first in all of this?

I don't know.

Here's what I do know. Two weeks ago I had a meeting of directors at our house and I felt grateful to have quick, real friends in a new place. Last week we had our first rehearsal and I felt in awe of being part of something much bigger than I could ever accomplish on my own. Today I set about trying to write an additional part of the script about the Organization of the Relief Society and felt touched by the miracle of the Restoration and the vast potential of good women.

No comments: