2014

2014

Saturday, March 14, 2009

What Are You Thinking About, Eliza?


Yesterday, the kids and I walked home from school together. With all the dawdling and distractions, a 7 minute walk often takes 25. Eliza said about three sentences. Then we came home, had a very quick snack, and ran off to piano lessons (45 minutes away.) Eliza didn't talk the entire drive. During her piano lesson, she is mute, except to say thank you, as I told her to. It is obvious that she is happy during piano lessons because she smiles and eagerly nods when her teacher asks her to play something. On the way home, we listened to "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" in the car and Eliza was still silent. Not one question about the story or anything else. This is not unusual for her. She's very chatty at times, and then there will be blocks of hours where I feel like she doesn't utter a sound. When she finally says something, I am often startled to hear her voice and realize that I haven't heard it for two or three hours even though we've been together the whole time. At night I tuck her in and often try to draw her out for a few minutes. It is most often a futile attempt. I assume that is because whatever book is in front of her is more interesting to her than anything we could discuss. But it leaves me curious, thoughtful, admiring, and sometimes worried. What is she thinking in that bright head of hers during all those long hours?

No comments: