2014

2014

Thursday, March 19, 2009

How Does My Sister-In-Law Do It?


We just spent five days with my sister-in-law and her family, which is almost the best way I can think of spending five days.

For eight years I have been in awe of her. People who don't even know her admire her just from the stories I tell.

She has seven daughters with only about 9 years between them from top to bottom. There is something amazing about them. Only in watching it day after day and year after year does the true magnitude really sink in.

They see me unloading the dishwasher or folding the laundry and start helping without any prompting.

Ten or more times in any given day I hear this shocking sentence: "Is there anything I can do to help, Aunt Sariah?"

They solve their own problems. They find their own lost mittens and snowpants and report cards.

They answer every task with a cheerful, "You bet" or "Sure, Mom." I mean truly cheerful.

They sit quietly without colouring book or pencil all during sacrament meeting.

They stay out until 10 pm at a basketball game and don't get grumpy.

They don't complain when they get in the car and have already missed half of the movie.

They invite each other to take turns on the only two sleds (I know I would be buying seven just to avoid any issues.)

They don't scuffle over who gets to sit where at mealtimes.

They eat whatever they are served.

They close their eyes and kneel reverently during prayers.

They run family home evening themselves, from the conducting, to the lesson, to the game, to the treat.

They make lunch and cookies and brownies on their own with no supervision. And they clean up the mess.

They stop whatever they are playing immediately to run get a broom from upstairs or a can of soup from downstairs or someone else's coat that was left in the car.

One of the most amazing is how when their mom says this sort of vague sentence, "I need a broom downstairs," or "Will someone find Rachel?" or "Dad needs a helper outside." A child ACTUALLY shows up with the broom or finds the baby or puts on her boots and coat and goes outside to pick up garbage.

I have been trying to sort out how this miracle came about for years. I've concluded that it must be their mother. I've tried asking her to tell me the secret, but she's sort of oblivious to her own role in creating these happy, cheerful, helpful, kind, generous children. So, I've resorted to visiting as often as I can and watching her like a hawk. I haven't figured out how she does it yet, but when I do I'll be sure to let you know.

No comments: