2014

2014

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Is It All Me?

I take comfort in knowing that my kids are different from each other. In some ways they are dramatically different.

They are different in their strengths. There is energy, calmness, assertiveness, gentleness, thoughtfulness, independence, self-reliance, and fun.

They are different in their challenges, too. There is wildness, shyness, helplessness, reluctance, argumentativeness, and more.

So, their strengths are not necessarily to my credit. And that must mean that their weaknesses are not all my fault either. They must have arrived this way.

But at parent teacher conferences and in their report cards, I heard a story of my kids so completely different than my experience at home. "She works independently," "She never complains," "I've never seen her get frustrated," "She works very quickly."

What?!? Who?!?

I'm left with only two options--Either I'm the problem, or the teachers are trying to butter me up. Oh, please, please, please let it be the latter. But, somehow, I don't think it is.

No comments: