2014

2014

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How Did I End Up Doing This AGAIN?

I'm hunting for a piano teacher AGAIN. I am so mad.

I did this three years ago when I decided our first teacher was not working for Naomi.

I searched lists of registered musicians. I googled piano teachers. I called music schools. I weighed different methodologies. I mapquested distances.

And I interviewed teacher after teacher. This is a completely ridiculous process because you don't get any idea of what it will really be like two months in when your kid is whining about practicing, throwing a fit in the lesson, or rudely refusing to try the next chord. And every teacher you interview besides the one, you either have to slink away and never call them back, or boldly call them and say that there is someone better than they are. It's like firing someone you haven't hired. It's awful.

We spent all summer searching. I endured it well. We found a nice grandmotherly sort. And Naomi changed teachers.

A year later we moved and I started it all over again. But this time for two children and in September, when of course, every teacher has all of their teaching spots full.

I chose a teacher who was close and had a beautifully decorated studio. Within two lessons I knew this was not going to work at all. She was already snapping at what I considered my children's mid-range behaviour. It was not going to be pretty when they pulled out their real antics. Now I had to fire a teacher I had hired (and had given 10 post-dated checks to.) That was no fun at all. Now I avoid her determinedly when I see her across the intermission lobby at the concerts we have season tickets to (and apparently so does she.)

Finally I found a wonderful teacher. Hooray! He was 50 minutes away, but it was worth it. He distinguished between the two very different girls seamlessly. He praised the efforts of the one who desperately needs encouragement and pushed the one who could handle a bit of challenge.

Nine months later he accepted a position as principal of a music school far away and I am ready to jump off the roof as I begin the process all over again. Especially when I consider that 75% of the people involved in the lessons would rather call it quits anyway (I'm one of that 75%, by the way.)

Why am I doing this at all? Is it sheer stubbornness? Or will this study of music really expand their minds, open opportunities, broaden their appreciation, nurture their talents, and bolster their confidence the way I always tell myself it will?

I am ready to throw in the towel.

3 comments:

Tongue River Boulters said...

Does it have to be piano for the music part???? I know I regret not finishing what mom set out for me in music, and thankfully Aspen does care enough about it right now that the threat of no lessons and then in the future no guitar works when she is giving me a bad time. Hang on in there.
ps mine start next month so my tune may be different

Shawna said...

Our music teacher is great. Delta isn't much further away...and you could come play afterwards! :-)

christine said...

Maybe you should try a new instrument, how about the tuba? :)