2014

2014

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Is That True?

In a mediocre book I'm reading, there was this line from the Moorish Sage to Queen Catherine of England:

"Sometimes it is better to have the right questions than the right answers."

Is that true?

It's certainly true in friendships, I think. "Did that pinch a bit?" Shelley asked me this week. She chose just the right word.

It's definitely true in mothering. "What do you think you're going to do about that?" My mother asked me a hundred times as she sat on the edge of my bed late at night.

It might be helpful to put doctrinal matters into their proper perspective. "Does knowing whether it is Christ's death or His resurrection that overcomes our death affect how I will treat my children and neighbor tomorrow?"

And in small talk when I have to go to dinner with Dallin's boss and his wife. "How does Finland's national radio station compare with CBC?"

And in renovations and home repairs. "What do you think we should do in the basement?"

These questions were a lot more useful than any answers. Maybe the 15th century fictitious doctor in the book is right.

No comments: