2014

2014

Monday, January 11, 2010

Does Heavenly Father Get Tired of Us Asking For Blessings?

I often hear a sentiment similar to this expressed in Sunday School or other places. It often comes up near to when someone describes Him as resenting our lack of gratitude.

On the one hand, there is the Parable of the Unjust Judge who finally gave in because he was pestered so much. And the Lord does tell us that he will not give us a stone or a serpent when we ask for bread and fish.

And on the other hand, I wonder if we are assigning our own feelings to God.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Does God get tired?

Does He get tired of us asking for blessings?

Does He get sick of us the same way I get sick of my kids' constant requests and frequent ingratitude?

Or is asking for blessings just what He wants us to do because that is how we come to Him?

If the Unjust Judge blessed the widow just because she continued to ask so much, surely the Just Judge is ready to bless us. But how many times? Am I wearing out my welcome?

2 comments:

Skye said...

No way, he never gets tired/cranky or ever wants to STOP blessing us. And remember, the bible dictionary says that one of the purposes of prayer is "to secure blessings for ourselves and others that the Lord is ALREADY WILLING to grant but are dependent upon our asking"!!! So I say, ASK, and don't feel any guilt! (I admittedly feel the guilt often too).

Anonymous said...

Sariah, dear,
I miss you. And, I still love your blog all the time. I'm glad you're still doing it.

Mom