2014

2014

Thursday, August 27, 2009

How Did I Get Here?

The short answer is that my mother cursed them on me.

The longer answer is that I arrived at this state--


"No that doesn't count as a bite. I said three bites, not two. A bite means you fill up your spoon. You like carrots. It's just chicken. It's only parsley. Parsley isn't a vegetable, it's a spice. It's just like salt and pepper, only green. If you finish the whole bowl, you can have another biscuit. Yes, of course, including the corn..."

--the longer answer is that I arrived at this ridiculous bite-counting, vegetable-pushing, guilt-creating state out of complete desperation. Tonight at dinner I felt that I negotiated deals more complex than NAFTA. I swore I would never visit this state. I think I said something about not even visiting this country.

I remember being four and watching my brother do the airplane thing with a bite on a fork. He was the best! It had neat "vrrrrrrrrrrr" and "bddddd" sounds, and loops and turns and dives. And I watched it all with my mouth open and I remember thinking, "There is no way I'm going to keep my mouth open when he tries to put the bite in." And time after time I clamped my mouth shut just as the airplane made its final descent to the landing strip.

And later I was eight and left at the table "until you finish your dinner." I think once I sat there for nine hours. I knew my mom was mad. But I also knew I would stay there for nine months if I had to. And finally I would be sent to my room with no supper (which, of course, was exactly the result I wanted.) And then that same wonderful older sibling would sneak crackers and cheese down to me. I think he thought there was a real possibility of starvation.

I entered parenthood committing to myself that I would not get sucked into this picky-eater nonsense. Well, actually, I was not going to have any picky eaters, but since that didn't work out, I went to plan B. Do not get emotionally involved. I knew it didn't work.

A while back a woman with eight grown children told me that if she were to do dinner-times again with her kids she wouldn't fight it at all. If they wanted five buns and no soup that would be fine with her. Everyone could have dessert regardless of whether they ate anything or not. Mealtime was about family togetherness, not about food. Is she right? By the way, all eight of her children have been quite rebellious and the two I know are obese. Does this give her theory less clout?

Well, as of tonight, I am currently touring this miserable state, but I think I'll take the next plane ride home. I hope it makes neat sounds and loops and dives. And I hope it finds a place to land.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh boy. Try autism at the dinner table. Nick lived on popcorn for a full year, I'm not kidding. We were thrilled when he moved on to cereal. Cheerios, morning, noon and night. Now he eats a plethora of foods . . . as long as they're from the beige food group.

Ugh.

Heather O. said...

I don't fight. At all. Occasionally I'll insist Jacob take two bites, and he always has to try whatever I make. But we have a PBJ opt out policy. If he doesn't like what I make, he can make himself a PBJ. That way, he can be responsible. And I don't leave food out for grazing. Dinner time is dinner time, and if you don't eat during dinner, oh well. Our rules are loose, and sometimes we do end up giving a snack to Jacob before bed, but I refuse to use food as the hill I'm willing to die on. I'll die on other hills, and no kid will starve to death in a house full of food, no matter how picky he is.